Saturday, June 20, 2009

Recent Movies

Writing about film for film people is intimidating, but because I have written nothing this week I feel I owe you all at least a short post.
I haven't seen a movie in the theaters in several weeks. I mentioned on here how much I liked the Star Trek movie. I'd give it an A if I were grading it. The only other recent film I've seen was X-Men Origins: Wolverine. And although I give the original X-Men film an A, this most recent incarnation of the series deserves a mere C+.
I'm ready to see some new stuff. Year One looked like it could be funny but one of my favorite critics, James Berardinelli, gave it a D+ and described it as "inexplicably unfunny" and the other critics I like ranked it no higher than a B-. So it looks like I'll pass on spending money on that one.
No critic reviews on Yahoo Movies yet for The Proposal. I'm not a huge Sandra Bullock fan and I am wary of the whole romantic comedy genre, but this one looks completely amusing. I'll let you know if I manage to see anything this week. Be sure to leave your suggestions in the comments section. But don't bother trying to convince me to see The Hangover.