Friday, January 15, 2010

Emily's Year in Movies 2009

I went on Wikipedia and found a list of every movie released in 2009. Here are some brief thoughts on my movie-viewing experience with each of them that I saw.

Coraline - didn't see this one until it was released on dvd. Watched it with my husband, Brandon. I fully expected this to be my new favorite movie since I love Nightmare Before Christmas so much and the previews looked fantastic. I was disappointed. It wasn't bad, but overall too creepy, definitely not for young kids, and certainly not on my list of favorites.

He's Just Not That Into You - saw this one in Park City with my friend Raquel. Great acting. Loved Justin Long's character. Good show but ultimately forgettable.

Confessions of a Shopaholic - rented this one from Red Box with my best friend, Jen. I can't say I wasn't entertained, but this was incredibly dumb.

The Soloist - I rented this one and watched it at home. Great acting performances and good story but not as good as I was expecting.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - The friends I saw this with (Andrew, Jennifer, and Donovan) in California hated it. I was totally engrossed and entertained as was Brandon. The writers aren't going to win any awards, but it was fun. It paled in comparisson to the first X-Men movie which is probably in my Top 10 Favorites of All Time.

Star Trek - Fantastic! Saw it in CA with the same as the above. More on that trip here.


Up - watched this in a home theater with family over the holidays. Excellent movie for young and old alike.

Food Inc. - watched this one last night at home. I've been trying to get everyone in the country to read The Omnivore's Dilemma and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. This is easier, DO IT. It will change the way you shop and eat. After reading those books I have changed some habits, after seeing this documentary it has forever changed which meat I will buy and consume and feed to my family. Powerful and eye-opening.

Moon - saw this last year at Sundance. It only served to confirm that Sam Rockwell is an incredibly talented actor. Great sci-fi flick. A bit too much swearing for my taste.


The Proposal - saw this one in Park City with Raquel on another spontaneous girl's night out. Fun chick flick.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - I have no recollection of where or with whom I saw this movie but I know I liked it (because I like all things Harry Potter).

500 Days of Summer - Redstone with Jen. Great movie. Unexpected, fun, unusual. Got it on dvd as a Christmas gift from Lauren. The cover claims it is "seriously funny" and a "feel-good movie". I disagree with both assertions, but it was great. It premiered last year at Sundance and I had tickets but had to sell them because of a scheduling conflict.

Adam - saw it at Sundance with Janette. Great performances by Hugh Dancy and Rose Byrne. About a man with Aspergers. Good show.

Julie & Julia - saw it with my mother-in-law and her three daughters. Highly enjoyable and not just because I love to cook.

No Impact Man - borrowed this one from SLC Film Center. Excellent documentary about a man and his family trying to make no negative impact on the earth for a year (producting no trash, not riding in vehicles, etc.). I highly recommend it.

Avatar - saw it with my hubby, father-in-law, and one of my brothers-in-law at the Thanksgiving Point theater in 3-D. You already know it was the best movie of the year.